Sunday 21 April 2013

Reese Witherspoon ‘deeply embarrassed’ about arrest, interaction with cop

Reese Witherspoon ‘deeply embarrassed’ about arrest, interaction with cop, On April 21, 2013, Reese Witherspoon released a statement regarding her Atlanta arrest and how she is extremely “embarrassed” by what she said to law enforcement during the incident, according to The New York Times.

Witherspoon and her husband Jim Toth were stopped early Friday morning after Trooper First Class J. Pyland spotted their vehicle, driven by Toth, not staying in its lane, reports the Times.

Toth was arrested for driving under the influence, and the actress was arrested for disorderly conduct as the trooper claimed she would not stay in the car when Toth, 42, was given a field sobriety test.

Variety obtained a police report that indicates Witherspoon asked Pyland, “Do you know my name?” to which he replied, “…I don’t need to know your name… Right now.”

The report indicates the actress then said, “You’re about to find out who I am.”

According to the Times, the report also notes that Witherspoon was hanging out the car window telling Trooper Pyland she did not believe he was a real police officer.

At one point, according to the report, the actress exited the car and said she was a “U.S. Citizen” allowed to “stand on American ground.”

When Trooper Pyland began to arrest her, Witherspoon initially resisted, but Toth calmed her down, the report said.

In her statement released late Sunday, Witherspoon, 37, wrote, “I clearly had one drink too many and I am deeply embarrassed about the things I said… It was definitely a scary situation and I was frightened for my husband, but that is no excuse.”

She continued, “I was disrespectful to the officer who was just doing his job. I have nothing but respect for the police and I’m very sorry for my behavior.”

The Associated Press reported Toth has been charged with a DUI.

E! News reports the couple bonded out of jail at around 3:30 a.m. Friday and are slated to appear in court on Monday morning, however, E! reports, their legal counsel is expected to request a delay in the hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment