Monday 15 April 2013

Oklahoma QB transfer: Senior Drew Allen transferring to Syracuse

Oklahoma QB transfer: Senior Drew Allen transferring to Syracuse, Senior quarterback Drew Allen has just one more year of college eligibility, and he's not going to use it for the Oklahoma Sooners. The Sports Xchange reported on Saturday, April 13, 2013, that there will be an "Oklahoma QB transfer," and Allen will head to Syracuse.

Allen is graduating from Oklahoma in May so he won't have to sit out a year. He will join the Syracuse football team this summer.

"It is the toughest decision of my life just because of the uniqueness of the situation," Allen told the Syracuse Post-Standard. "Coming out of high school, I was basically deciding where I was going to go for the next four or five years of my life. With this, it was a decision that would span a matter of months -- a one-year deal.

"So it's been a long process, and I'm really excited that it's come down to me going to Syracuse."

Allen is a 6-foot-5 quarterback weighing in at 226 pounds. He was a high school All-American from San Antonio and will compete for the starting quarterback spot at Syracuse after being a forever backup with Oklahoma. Allen redshirted in 2009 and then played backup for Landry Jones.

The competition at Syracuse will be between Allen, senior Charley Loeb, junior Terrel Hunt, and senior John Kinder. Competition at Syracuse doesn't expect to be as tough as it will be at Oklahoma this year which will see Trevor Knight, Blake Bell, and Kendal Thompson going after the starting spot.

Syracuse coach Scott Shafer is going to be in his first year and needs a starter to take over for Ryan Nassib. Shafer can't officially comment on Allen until he is enrolled at Syracuse.

Allen has said that no coaches have offered him a starting job, but he does look to be the front runner for Syracuse.

"I can assure you that the schools that contacted me, not one single school made that promise, and I didn't expect them to," he said. "Honestly, if a school did that, I don't know if I would really hold them to a high regard. That's not how I do things. I've had to compete the past four years, I've had to compete all my life."

It was between Syracuse and North Carolina State as to where Oklahoma QB would transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment