Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Home invasion suspect shot to death after two children escape, ran for help

Home invasion suspect shot to death after two children escape, ran for help, A suspect who broke into a home where two children were waiting alone was killed in a shootout with police Monday in Gwinnett County.

About 7:30 a.m. officers responded to a home invasion robbery in progress at Woodland Ridge Apartments at 301 Tree Trail Pkwy. in Norcross, according to Gwinnett County police.

Investigators said the suspect, Mr. Eric Andrews, 24, of Atlanta, knocked on the front door to apartment 301 where the two children were waiting by themselves for someone to pick them up for school.

“The children looked through the peephole and refused to answer the door because they didn’t recognize the suspect,” police spokesman Cpl. Edwin Ritter said.

“They observed the suspect go around to the backside of the apartment and attempt to force entry into the apartment,” he said. “The children escaped through the front door and went to the neighbor’s house seeking help. The neighbor then called the police to report the incident.”

The first officer on the scene started checking the exterior of the apartment and was confronted by Mr. Andrews as he was exiting out of the back door.

“Mr. Andrews was holding a tire iron as he was exiting the apartment,” Cpl. Ritter said. “The officer drew his weapon and gave several loud verbal commands for Mr. Andrews to stop and drop the tire iron.”

Mr. Andrews refused to comply and advanced towards the officer. The officer retreated, moving backward and around the side of the apartment as he continued to order the suspect to stop and drop the tire iron.

“Mr. Andrews was within lunging distance to the officer and raised the tire iron in an offensive manner toward the officer,” Cpl. Ritter said. And the officer fired once, he said.

“The round struck Mr. Andrews, at which time Mr. Andrews dropped the tire iron and ran in the opposite direction of the officer,” Cpl. Ritter said. “The officer then gave chase on foot. Mr. Andrews ran a short distance and collapsed.”

He was transported to Gwinnett Medical Center where he died from one gunshot wound to the chest, the corporal said.

No comments:

Post a Comment