Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Photos: Boston Marathon, finalists ran back to help victims

Photos: Boston Marathon, finalists ran back to help victims, More top news is coming in to San Francisco about the Boston Marathon bombings.

It was meant to be a fun day out for both the runners and the spectators. But it turned deadly.

It has now been stated that three people have died in the Boston Marathon bombings and over 130 others are injured. One of the deceased is an 8-year-old boy. Some of those injured are in critical condition.

So far, it has not been determined exactly what kind of device was implemented, says ABC 7 News, here in San Francisco. More than one bomb went off and it's likely they were both small, portable devices, says the San Francisco news station. It is known, however, that one explosion quickly followed another.

"When are we all going to be able to live together?" says San Francisco resident, Amy Tan.

One explosion took place on the north side of Boylston Street, just as crowds gathered in Copley Square, the main area where tens of thousands of race spectators were waiting.

It's believed that a third explosion, at JFK Library, is not connected. That incident is believed to be fire-related and has nothing to do with the two Boston Marathon bombings.

One badly injured man is currently being interviewed at a hospital in Boston, but it's unknown if he is a person of interest, or just an innocent bystander.

President Obama offered his administration's immediate help.

"We will find out who did this. We'll find out why they did this," said Mr. Obama. "Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups, will feel the full weight of justice."

Locals in the area are being advised to stay home, by Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis.

Most of the Boston Marathon competitors had already reached the Finish line by the time the bombs went off. But many who had finished the race turned back to help, as soon as they heard the explosions.

"It doesn't bear thinking about. It's a horrific disaster," says San Francisco resident, Peter Aldrich.

Some of the injured had to be removed from the scene in wheelchairs, their faces bloodied.

Others had limbs missing and were quickly carried out.

One runner told ABC 7 News:

"I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor," said Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old who works as state trooper in Smithfield, R.I.

"We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated. ... At least 25 to 30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing."

In other cities in the US and around the world, security was tightened. Cell phone services in the Boston area were shut down in case cell phones were going to be used to detonate more bombs.

In the morning, around 24,000 runners took part in the 2013 Boston Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment