Monday, 15 April 2013

Multiple bomb explosions at Boston Marathon kill 2, injure more than 100

Multiple bomb explosions at Boston Marathon kill 2, injure more than 100, Boston authorities are currently on maximum alert after multiple bombs blasted near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, April 15.

A pair of initial explosions occurred around 2:45 p.m. just seconds apart in downtown Boston's Copley Square, covering the area in smoke. The explosions were approximately an hour after the first of the nearly 27,000 runners had crossed the finish line. Many runners had yet to finish the race when the bombs exploded.

Paramedics treated several victims at the scene while police ordered onlookers to clear the area. At least two people have been killed and more than 100 are reported to be injured. Spectators recount seeing victims with horrific injuries who lost limbs or with broken bones.

"I saw blood everywhere," Steve Silva, a sports producer, told

Boston Marathon officials made an announcement on their Twitter page near 4 p.m., "There were two bombs that exploded near the finish line in today's Boston Marathon. We are working with law enforcement to understand what exactly has happened."

Shortly after, a third explosion happened at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library, about five miles southeast of the Boston Marathon finish line. It is not clear whether the blast is connected to the first two, though authorities are treating them as if they are.

Two additional explosive devices have been found in the area, but were dismantled.

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick has said, "This is a horrific day in Boston. My thoughts and prayers are with those who have been injured."

Governor Patrick has been in touch with President Obama, who is taking precautions at the White House, as well as Boston's Mayor Menino.

New York City's Mayor Michael Bloomberg has increased security throughout his city.

The FAA has declared the air space above the explosion area, what is now being considered a crime-scene, as off limits until further notice. Though, the Logan Airport is open and flights are coming in and out.

Cell phone service in the city of Boston has been shut down for the time being. If there is worry about a loved one, call the mayor's hotline at 1-617-635-4500.

The London Marathon is scheduled for this coming Sunday. Organizers with London have taken notice and will be developing a security plan for Sunday.

Police are urging people to stay home and avoid large crowds. Many areas in Boston have been closed. Authorities are also checking the personal belongings of anyone in the area. Those who are traveling through North Station are being thoroughly checked.

Federal law enforcement is treating this situation as if it is a terrorist attack. More than 400 Massachusetts National Guard soldiers have been deployed to the area.

People are urged to contact 1-800-494-TIPS with any information that may help in the investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment