Saturday, 20 April 2013

Boston Marathon bombings sent shock waves that riveted nation

Boston Marathon bombings sent shock waves that riveted nation, The attention of the nation was riveted on Boston this week, as the drama following the Boston Marathon bombings sent shock waves across the United States. The drama unfolded before the eyes of citizens, as the news coverage was constant from the day of the bombings on Monday, April 15, 2013 through the death and capture of the suspects on Friday, April 19, 2013. CNN, in particular, offered comprehensive coverage of the events as the resources of the local, state and national governments hit the investigation with full force.

The news that bombs exploded near the finish line at the Boston Marathon sent shock waves across the nation. Runners had started to cross the finish line when two explosions went off, scattering the crowd of spectators. The race was held on Patriot's Day, a day that commemorates battles fought near the historic city of Boston in 1775. Boston Marathon explosion shock spectators

View slideshow: Pictures from Boston Marathon aftermath of bombings

There were a significant number of first responders at the race, so they quickly mobilized to evacuate the area and to help the injured. At the end of the day, three spectators were dead and over a hundred people were hospitalized. The shrapnel from the bombs caused injuries, including some that severed limbs and caused amputations, forever altering the lives of the victims and of their families.

President Obama committed the national resources to investigate the horrific crimes committed on American soil. The investigation was conducted by the Boston Police, Massachusetts State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, ATF, Homeland Security and more. The official investigation was helped by citizens, who sent in photos, so police could identify suspects. Citizens of Boston cooperated by hunkering down and staying indoors, so the suspects could not blend in with a crowd. The media assisted by distributing photos and information, so people could come forward with information about the suspect.

At the end of the intense week came a dramatic conclusion. The suspects claimed a fourth victim, a 26 year old MIT police officer, in a shooting. The first suspect, Tamerlan Tsarvaiev, was killed on Friday morning. The second suspect, Dzhokhar A.. Tsarnaev, found refuge in a covered boat, but was discovered and eventually taken into custody. Injured and bloody, Tsarnaev was taken to the hospital.

The images from Boston on Friday were amazing, from the intense manhunt to the jubilant response from the crowds in the streets following the capture of the suspect. Citizens from urban areas across the nation, from New York to Chicago to Los Angeles could imagine the same events in their own city.

Imminent danger is over, but the questions continue. The suspects, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, and Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev (19), were brothers who had immigrated to the United States. Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev became a citizen of the United States in 2012 and was a student,seemingly taking advantage of the opportunities offered. Why had the brothers turned on the country and what motivated them to act as they did. Moreover, were they acting on their own or did they have accomplices? These are the questions that officials and citizens hope to have answered in future days.

The FBI issued press statements regarding the events of the week on Friday, April 19, 2013.

FBI Director Robert S. Mueller said, "During this long week, we have seen an extraordinary effort by law enforcement, intelligence, and public safety agencies. These collaborative efforts, with the help and cooperation of the public, resulted in the successful outcome we have seen tonight. The investigation will continue as part of our efforts to seek answers and justice, and there will be no pause in that effort. But tonight, I wish to thank all those who worked so tirelessly throughout the week in the pursuit of safety and justice."

Rick DesLauriers, the special agent in charge of the FBI’s Boston Division, stated in a press conference:

"It seems like many months since Monday, April 15, the day of the Boston Marathon bombings. Yet, it has merely been five days since the tragic explosions that took three lives, critically injured over 180 spectators, and instilled terror and fear among the citizens of the city of Boston, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and elsewhere.

Today, the city of Boston, the city of Cambridge, and the city of Watertown—and many other communities—can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that two perpetrators who caused so much pain and anguish are no longer a threat to our personal safety and our communities.

Together, with the action and support of our Joint Terrorism Task Force partners—many of which are on the stage with me this evening.

The FBI and our partners remained vigilant and continued to follow through thousands of leads and sifted through hundreds of tips—through thousands of man hours—to reach this moment.

This truly was an absolutely intense investigation—and I do emphasize, a truly intense investigation. As a result of that, justice is being served for the victims of these terrible crimes.

I want to personally express the FBI’s profound thanks to each of our partners for bringing us to this moment here this evening.

No one agency alone accomplished the critically important task of keeping the city of Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts safe.

Thank you very much. And I thank you for the support of our media campaign the other day which publicized the photos—I thank you very, very much for the support that the media provided us on that. It was phenomenal. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment